Sports Illustrated’s Stan Musial Commemorative Issue On Newsstands NowPosted: January 31, 2013
(NEW YORK – Jan. 31, 2013) – Sports Illustrated has published a special collector’s issue commemorating the career of “Stan the Man,” St. Louis Cardinals legend Stan Musial. The 76-page magazine has arrived on newsstands and at area retailers—including Schnucks Markets, Dierbergs, Save A Lot, Walmart, Target, Walgreens, CVS, Barnes & Noble, Books A Million, Hastings, Kroger, Hy Vee, Costco and 7-Eleven.
Through gorgeous action photography and classic Sports Illustrated articles, take a journey through the stirring years of Musial’s peerless career. A breakdown of his life is augmented by beautifully written portraits celebrating his career as it happened and reflecting on its greatness after he passed away.
The special edition, which will be sold at the price of $7.99, features a photo of Stan Musial in his St. Louis Cardinals uniform on the cover with the billing STAN MUSIAL: A SALUTE TO THE MAN.
Highlights for the commemorative edition include:
- The Dawn of Stan (page 12)
- Sunshine in Donora – From his early days as a pitcher in a mining town, Musial found bliss on the ballfield (page 14).
- First of 3,000 Games – 1941: On a Wednesday in St. Louis a manager gave the new kid a shot (page 18).
- Stan at His Best (page 24)
- The Day The Man Hit Five – In a May doubleheader Musial delivered a record-breaking day (page 26).
- No Finer Example – Named Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year, Musial was the embodiment of the award (page 30).
- Stan’s Last Stands
- Still In The Game – In 1960, diminished but still dangerous, the Man adjusted to the realities of age (page 42).
- One Final Swing – 1963: In his farewell Musial was feted at parks all over and, finally, at home (page 48).
- A Second Act
- The Man In Charge – Musial brought his optimism and his love of baseball to a new job as GM (page 64).
- The Man In Full – The perfect Knight lived with a quiet brilliance and a spirit forever vital in St. Louis (page 68).
- Stan, Forever – Last shot: How to hit .300 (page 76).
As with all Sports Illustrated Presents commemorative issues, this special collector’s edition is separate from the current weekly issue of Sports Illustrated, which is dated Feb, 4. 2013.