By: Matt Bean (@mattbean1), Managing Editor, SI.com
In 1964 André Laguerre, the pioneering Sports Illustrated managing editor, asked staffer Julie Campbell to help him grab readers’ attention after the thrum of the football season had died down. The first Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue was really a five-page portfolio, not an issue, an effort as modest as the suits themselves. What a difference 50 years makes.
In the past half century SI Swimsuit has become a publishing phenomenon that transcends the pages of the magazine. Never has that been more evident than during our launch last week, which kicked off our most ambitious year ever. The cross-platform, country-spanning slate of events bridged the print and digital worlds and brought the brand to life in new and exciting ways. In fact, page views on SI.com were up 60% compared to 2012, and page views per visit nearly doubled. We welcomed new partners, from start-ups to established technology companies and a series of events that captivated models, advertisers, editors and fans.
The rollout represented several significant firsts for Sports Illustrated. A few worth noting:
*We shot on every continent. That’s right. Even Antarctica
Creative Director Chris Hercik and Senior Editor MJ Day put forth an ambitious agenda: Let’s shoot on all seven continents. Fly Kate Upton to the tip of Argentina, board a boat through the perilous Drake Passage and battle unruly penguins for five days? Why not? The photos in the issue and on SI.com are only part of the story, as you might imagine, so the team captured additional video for a Travel Channel special that aired on Feb. 17, and we also asked models and photographers to take behind-the-scenes clips, teased the shoots on Instagram, and more.
*SI.com’s Swimsuit site with nearly 1,000 photos and more than 100 videos not enough for you? O.K., then welcome to our first daily Swimsuit product, SwimDaily.com
Attention seldom wanes for Swimsuit, so that’s why we launched SwimDaily, the ultimate daily destination for all things Swimsuit. Overseen by MJ Day and SI.com special products producer Andy Gray, the site is updated several times a day and features candid interviews, special shoots, videos, Twitter round-ups and a first-of-its-kind Instagram integration powered by the models. SwimDaily.com offers the Swimsuit fan an unparalleled look inside our world, and the world of the models.
*We went live— and went BIG.
On Feb. 13 we turned the poolside lounge at Caesar’s Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas into a talk- show set, live-streaming 45 minutes of model interviews and more to thousands of viewers on SI.com, People.com, EW.com, YouTube and DailyMotion.com. Powered by Executive Producer Ian Orefice and his team, the show featured models Chrissy Teigen and Julie Henderson, who joined me in welcoming representatives from all seven continents’ shoots to the stage, leading to a countdown to Time Inc.’s first projection mapping, which was shown across the side of the hotel. How big was the show? You’ll have to see it to believe it. http://bit.ly/13iwEjE
*We took over Twitter. And Instagram. And Google Plus. And YouTube. And….
Our technology partners couldn’t wait to work with Swimsuit, and users, from Twitter to Instagram to YouTube, responded with their clicks. More than 3.5 million users watched our Swimsuit 2013 Trailer on YouTube. More than 2 million people participated in our Google hangouts—the last of which featured Kate Upton and Katherine Webb, the girlfriend of standout Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, swapping Valentine’s Day stories. (That made Google’s list of top 15 hangouts ever, just behind President Obama’s, the Dali Lama’s and Lady Gaga’s.) More than 50,000 likes were registered on Facebook. Our Instagram photos—deeply integrated into SwimDaily.com—also resonated on its native platform, and several were featured on the popular page. And our cover model, Kate Upton, camped out on Twitter’s trending list, with four spikes around her unveiling. This year’s extravaganza proved that while it might not be safe to bring your computer in the pool, Swim and technology are made for each other.
*We Went Swimming … Everywhere.
As cross-platform launches go, this year’s slate was a first. We not only unveiled an innovative, full-screen experience and launched SwimDaily.com, but we also overhauled our mobile apps with extraordinary design, games and of course the return of 360 views. Early returns are very positive, in fact, the tablet app is already up 30% in y-o-y readership. Taken as a whole, this shows our SI Everywhere approach pays off, especially around a platform like Swim. Our ad team also grew the issue by 20 pages—the thickest magazine since 2008—and broke new ground, bringing in female-focused brands such as Target and Covergirl.
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2013: Spectacular Multiplatform Launch Features Swimsuit Models From Historic Shoots in all Seven ContinentsPosted: February 11, 2013
Cover Model Kate Upton, 17 Swimsuit models, Four World Class Athletes, Overnight Sensation Katherine Webb and More Available on Newsstands, Tablet, Mobile, Web and a Travel Channel TV Special
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2013 takes an unprecedented journey to all seven continents, delivering fashion, beauty and earth’s most exotic destinations across print, tablet, mobile, web and television. Available on newsstands February 12 and on digital platforms now, the story of breathtaking SI Swimsuit models in equally beautiful locations around the world, including the red-hot cover shot of Kate Upton in Antarctica, provides fans access to over 650 high resolution images and more than two hours of high definition video.
Upton, a 20-year-old, Melbourne, Fla. native is the first back-to-back SI Swimsuit model to appear on the cover since Tyra Banks (1996, 1997) and joins Elle Macpherson (1986, 1987, 1988), Christie Brinkley (1980,1981) and Paulina Porizkova (1984, 1985) in the elite group of women who’ve appeared by themselves on the coveted cover in back-to-back years.
“Kate Upton joins the legacy of repeat cover models that have risen to international stardom from appearing on the cover of our iconic brand,” said MJ Day, senior editor of SI Swimsuit. “Adding to her legacy is the historic nature of SI Swimsuit 2013—we shot on all seven continents, including the first-ever fashion shoot in Antarctica, where the beautiful images of Kate transcend photography, making it a great choice for the cover and all of the digital Swimsuit platforms.”
The 220-page magazine features spreads of Swimsuit models in all seven continents, including four new Swimsuit model rookies, body paint in the Bahamas and four world class athletes. The magazine also includes essays on each of the exotic locations by SI editors and writers.
New for the SI Swimsuit multiplatform effort include: a tablet edition and mobile app with more than 150 high resolution photos and over 75 high definition videos; a rebuilt website with a fully liquid homepage and supercharged with scrollable photo galleries and videos from each location shoot; Swim Daily, a new daily destination for Swimsuit news, photos, interviews and videos; a live show on Si.com leading up to a spectacular live projection mapping event; three Google+ Hangouts; and a Travel Channel special on Feb. 17 at 8:00 p.m.
A breakdown of SI Swimsuit multiplatform content:
- Tablet: Available to download on major tablets and free to current SI subscribers, the tablet edition features all of the magazine content, plus 360-degree body painting, and over 75 videos, including three up-close videos of each of the 17 models and video features from all seven continents.
- Mobile App: The newest app features pinch and zoom for all photos, 360-degree body painting, Swim IQ (the guess-the-model trivia game, which will allow users to earn points and unlock videos and photos), and is airplay enabled. Fans can update the 2012 app or download for free in iTunes. And if that’s not enough, users can upgrade to the premium app at si.com/mobile to unlock all of the 2013 pictures and videos.
- Website – www.si.com/swimsuit: The newly rebuilt SI Swimsuit website features images from each location shoot and more than 75 videos that take you behind the scenes with the models. Fans can vote for their favorite rookie model at SI.com/rookies and win a chance to accompany a crew on a forthcoming Swimsuit photo shoot at si.com/swimsweeps.
- www.SwimDaily.com: A new daily online destination for non-stop news, photos, interviews and videos throughout the year. SwimDaily will have daily content from models, behind-the-scenes stories from the hard-working editorial team, exclusive interviews, an always-updating Instagram feed powered by the girls themselves, and more.
- SI Swimsuit 2013 Live on SI.com: Swimsuit model Chrissy Teigen and SportsIllustrated.com managing editor Matt Bean will host a live show at 10:00 p.m. ET Wednesday, Feb. 13 powered by Lexus featuring model interviews, clips from the upcoming Travel Channel behind-the-scenes show, sit-downs with creative director Chris Hercik and senior Swim editor MJ Day, and more. The climax: a live stream of the Swimsuit projection mapping event on Feb. 13 at 11 p.m., where a Swimsuit sizzle reel will be beamed on the facade of Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas.
- Social Media: The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit launch is fully interactive. On Twitter check out @SI_Swimsuit and follow the hash tag #WhereIswim; become a fan on Facebook (Facebook.com/SISwimsuit) follow on Instagram; and participate in three Google+ hangouts at plus.google.com/+SISwimsuit:
- Feb. 12:, 2:30pm ET- Meet Swimsuit Editors MJ Day and Darcie Baum (NYC)
- Feb. 13: 7:30pm ET- Meet this year’s Swimsuit Rookies with host Chris Mannix (Las Vegas)
- Feb. 14: 6:00pm ET- Spend Valentine’s Day with Kate Upton and Katherine Webb with host MJ Day (Las Vegas)
- Television: To find out what is was like to visit every continent, fans can tune into a TV special “The Making of Swimsuit 2013: 7 Continents, 17 Wonders, which premieres Feb. 17 at 8 p.m. on the Travel Channel
The locations and models for Swimsuit 2013 included:
- Antarctica: Kate Upton (3rd Swimsuit Appearance)
- Australia: Genevieve Morton (4), Alyssa Miller (3), Nina Agdal (2), and Natasha Barnard (Rookie)
- Chile: Chrissy Teigen (4), Jessica Perez (2) and Kate Bock (Rookie)
- China: Anne V (9), Jessica Gomes (6) and Hannah Davis (Rookie)
- Namibia: Cintia Dicker (5), Adaora (2), and Emily Didonato (Rookie)
- Spain: Irina Shayk (2011 cover model and 7th appearance), Julie Henderson (7), and Ariel Meredith (3)
Kate Upton, Anne V, Chrissy Teigen, Alyssa Miller, Ariel Meredith and Nina Agdal are also featured in recreations of classic Swimsuit covers in the famous body paint section, which was shot on the sandy beaches of the Bahamas.
Overnight sensation Katherine Webb, making her first SI Swimsuit appearance, was shot in New York City. In addition, this year’s Swimsuit continues the tradition of featuring world class athletes, as pro surfer Alana Blanchard, Australian hurdler Michelle Jenneke and Dutch field hockey players Eva De Goede and Ellen Hoog were photographed in Las Vegas.
Sports Illustrated will launch the 2013 issue with a destination-wide celebration Feb. 12 to Feb. 15. The Launch week schedule includes:
- SI Swimsuit Launch Party hosted by Crimson in New York City: A party for SI Swimsuit partners, media and VIP guests to be attended by the 2013 Swimsuit models prior to jetting off to Las Vegas. Celebration begins at 5:00 p.m. on February 12th.
- SI Swimsuit Live Projection Mapping Event hosted by Caesar’s Palace: If you’re near Caesar’s Palace (or a computer) on Feb. 13 at 11 p.m. Eastern, prepare to have your mind blown. An SI Swimsuit sizzle reel will be beamed onto the hotel’s facade, which will—thanks to the magic of projection mapping—be animated in 3-D. If you’re not in Las Vegas, the event will be streamed live at SI.com/swimprojection, as well as people.com, ew.com and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit YouTube channel.
- SI Swimsuit on Location hosted by MARQUEE Nightclub at The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas: The SI Swimsuit launch week event will feature the 2013 Swimsuit models and bring to life all of the beautiful and exotic shoot locations from the 2013 SI Swimsuit issue in a marquee and exclusive nightclub setting. Event begins at 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 13.
- Club SI Swimsuit hosted by 1OAK Nightclub at The Mirage, Las Vegas: This annual event features a main stage reveal of the 2013 Swimsuit models, and a super powered performance from an A-list performer. Club SI Swimsuit begins at 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 14.
- SI Swimsuit Overtime hosted by The Bank Nightclub at Bellagio, Las Vegas: This by-invitation-only event is the final celebration of Swimsuit launch week in Las Vegas. The event begins at midnight on Feb. 15.
Winter Heats up on CBS’s “Late Show with David Letterman” When the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Cover is Revealed, Monday, Feb 11Posted: February 6, 2013
Ten of the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models to Present the Top Ten List on the Broadcast, Followed by the Reveal of This Year’s Cover Model
2013 Swimsuit Cover Model to Visit the LATE SHOW Tuesday, Feb. 12
Other Guests Visiting LATE SHOW Week of Feb. 11 Include Bill O’Reilly, Bruce Willis, Medal of Honor Recipient Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha, Jerry Seinfeld, Dave Grohl and Academy Award Nominees Helen Hunt and Quvenzhané Wallis
CHEAT TWEET: Get in the swim on #LateShow when the 2013 @SI_Swimsuit cover model is revealed Monday, Feb. 11, 11:35 pm ET/PT! http://bit.ly/UXQVpS
Winter gets warmer when the cover of this year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, along with the identity of the 2013 cover model, is revealed on the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN, Monday, Feb. 11 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. In what has become a tradition on the broadcast, this will mark the sixth consecutive year that the Swimsuit cover is revealed on the show.
And, for the third year in a row, 10 of the Swimsuit models gracing the pages of the 2013 issue will present the Top Ten List on the broadcast, with the identity of the cover model revealed and a first-look at this year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue cover shown later in the broadcast.
After the cover unveiling on Monday’s LATE SHOW, this year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model will visit the broadcast Tuesday, Feb. 12 for an interview with Letterman.
A staple of American popular culture, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit has a total audience of more than 70 million adults. The 2013 cover model will join an exclusive sorority of fashion icons, including previous Swimsuit cover models Heidi Klum, Cheryl Tiegs, Kathy Ireland, Christie Brinkley and Tyra Banks, among others. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2013 will be available on Feb. 12 with magazine, tablet and mobile editions.
Also featured on the LATE SHOW the week of Feb. 11 are talk show host Bill O’Reilly and musical guests The Avett Brothers (Monday, Feb. 11); actor Bruce Willis and musical guests Little Big Town; Medal of Honor recipient Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha, who will be awarded the prestigious honor by President Obama earlier that week, Academy Award nominee Quvenzhané Wallis and musical guest Robert DeLong (Wednesday, Feb. 13); comedian Jerry Seinfeld, musician Dave Grohl and performance by Dave Grohl & The Sound City Players with rock legend Stevie Nicks (Thursday, Feb. 14); and Academy Award nominee Helen Hunt, stand-up comedian Jeff Caldwell and musical guests The Macabees (Friday, Feb. 15).
The LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN is a production of Worldwide Pants Incorporated. Barbara Gaines, Matt Roberts, Jude Brennan, Maria Pope, Eric Stangel, Justin Stangel and Rob Burnett are the executive producers. RATING: TV-PG (Rating may change on day of broadcast due to specific subject matter.)
Photos available at www.cbspressexpress.com
Official CBS Website: http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/
CBS Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/CBSTweet
Travel Channel to Premiere “Sports Illustrated: The Making of Swimsuit ’13—7 Continents, 17 Wonders” on Sunday, February 17 at 8:00 P.m. ET/PTPosted: February 5, 2013
One-Hour Special Features Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Look at the 2013 Swimsuit Production Traversing an Unprecedented Seven Continents
Travel Channel joins with Sports Illustrated for an up-close-and-personal excursion to the exotic locales featured in the 2013 edition of SI Swimsuit multi-platform franchise. The one-hour Travel Channel original special, “Sports Illustrated®: The Making of Swimsuit ’13 – 7 Continents, 17 Wonders,” premieres Sunday, February 17 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT and crisscrosses the world, giving exclusive behind-the-scenes insight into what makes these shoots so difficult, and so spectacular.
This year’s Swimsuit production is a groundbreaking effort that brought the models and team to all seven continents – an unprecedented achievement — to capture the breathtaking imagery from the farthest corners of the globe. This includes the first fashion shoot to take place on the ice-covered terrain in Antarctica. From battling sandstorms in the African dunes to traversing treacherous cliffs in Asia, we’ll show what goes into capturing these singular moments on film.
“Hands down, this is the most fantastic armchair adventure you can take this winter,” says Laureen Ong, President, Travel Channel. “We jumped at the chance to partner with Sports Illustrated®, knowing our viewers will enjoy this fascinating and exciting travel show packed with extreme backdrops and locations. This is not an hour of just models posing on sandy beaches — this special takes viewers to all seven continents, spotlighting the most magnificent places in the world.
“Sports Illustrated®: The Making of Swimsuit ’13 – 7 Continents, 17 Wonders,” is produced by Sports Illustrated Productions in association with Ocean Sky Films. SI’s Ian Orefice and Christopher Hercik serve as executive producers. For Travel Channel, the executive producer is Dale Roy Robinson.
“The journey to all seven continents was a bold undertaking to deliver, once again, a spectacular Swimsuit production for our millions of loyal fans,” said Mark Ford, President of the Time Inc. Sports Group. “We are delighted that the Travel Channel will present the vibrant behind-the-scenes narrative and visuals of this epic and rigorous production. It will show a completely new and captivating perspective of the Swimsuit franchise.”
TRAVEL CHANNEL (http://www.travelchannel.com) is a multiplatform travel lifestyle brand with the core mission of providing inspiring and compelling programming that takes viewers beyond their everyday destinations, making the unfamiliar familiar, whether it’s around the world or around the block. A dual feed network that is also available in HD, Travel Channel is the world’s leading travel media brand, and is available in over 94 million U.S. cable homes. Owned and operated by Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI), Travel Channel has offices in Chevy Chase, MD, and New York, NY. Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI) also owns and operates HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Great American Country.
ABOUT SPORTS ILLUSTRATED SWIMSUIT
The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit (www.SI.com/Swimsuit) franchise reaches more than 70 million people annually, and more men 18 to 34 than the Super Bowl. The iconic franchise now spans more than 20 product extensions in digital social, broadcast, publishing, mobile and consumer products, along with supporting a vibrant experiential marketing business. Since debuting in 1964 Swimsuit has become a pop-culture phenomenon and an established launching pad for successful careers in TV, fashion, business and film including those of Kathy Ireland, Cheryl Tiegs, Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum. All of Swimsuit’s product extensions are built upon a heritage of amazing photography and footage of gorgeous models and athletes from the most exotic locations in the world.
One of the most exciting parts of being the editor for Sports Illustrated Swimsuit is the opportunity to discover new talent. I have had the opportunity to work with some of the world’s best photographers, designers and models at the earliest stages of their careers. One of the questions I’m often asked is, “How do you get into Swimsuit?”
We are SO flattered by the overwhelming interest and enthusiasm in SI Swimsuit! The Swimsuit franchise is what it is today because of the incredible talent we have been so lucky to work with.
So if you’re an aspiring model- what should you do to get into Swimsuit? Step 1 is getting an agent. We are always looking for new beautiful and talented models to grace SI Swimsuit and we rely on our contacts at the top modeling agencies in New York and worldwide to book our models. Getting an agent won’t just help you get into SI Swimsuit it will open up doors with other major industry clients and can give you the professional guidance necessary to help you succeed. When it comes to physical requirements we look for three things- a healthy body, a beautiful face and killer confidence and unlike on runways, we don’t care how tall you are!
Some of the most important people in our business are the photographers who capture our models in the most stunning ways. We look for photographers with strong fashion backgrounds and impressive portfolios. Since the photographers are a big part of the SI Swimsuit family, personality and enthusiasm is very important to our team. Interested photographers should speak with their agents about getting their portfolios to us. If you’re just starting out in photography, consider reaching out to photographers you admire for assistantships. This is a great way to build your contacts and your portfolio.
What would the Swimsuit issue be without thousands of fashion forward swimsuits and accessories? We are always looking for swimsuits in every style, shape size, pattern and material you can imagine. A Swimsuit that flatters a woman’s body and anything that stands out from the millions (yes, millions!) of Swimsuits I’ve seen in my career will help you get called in for a shoot. For accessories, we want to see something different, but not overpowering. If you are a swimsuit or accessories designer who wants to be in SI Swimsuit we would LOVE to see your stuff and encourage you to email firstname.lastname@example.org with links and details.
Most importantly, thank you for your continued interest in the future of SI Swimsuit!